How Do I Know If My House Has Too Much Humidity

How Do I Know If My House Has Too Much Humidity

When you’re looking to buy or rent a home, humidity is one of the most important factors. The right level of moisture ensures that your possessions stay protected from the elements and doesn’t cause problems with mold and mildew. But how do you know if your house has too much humidity? How can you tell if there are any potential health risks associated with excessive humidity levels in your home? In this article we’ll dive into some common signs that indicate too much moisture—and what you should do about them!

Some types of mold and mildew can be a health hazard. They can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to them, and they can also damage the structure of your house if left unchecked. While you might not think that high humidity could lead to these problems, it’s something worth checking out if you notice any signs of mold or mildew in your home.

If you want to prevent any issues with high humidity levels on your property, there are several ways that this can be done:

  • Use an ozone generator (such as the Ozone Segway) around windowsills and doorsills during winter months when temperatures rise above freezing;
  • Install energy efficient heating systems;
  • Keep humidity-proofing materials such as rubber sealants around windowsills so that air doesn’t seep through cracks into rooms where water vapor exists at elevated levels (this especially applies if there was leakage from pipes).

If you notice condensation on your ceiling, or if you’re having trouble breathing, then it may be time to get the house checked.

Condensation is caused by moisture from the air being absorbed into the surface of an object, like a window or wall. It’s important to remember that this can happen indoors even if there isn’t any humidity in the air outside—and it’s why many people think their homes are too hot when they’re actually just sweaty messes. The only way for us humans to combat excessive indoor humidity is with ventilation: open windows (or fans), turn off unnecessary electronics and appliances, change clothes often enough so that they don’t absorb sweat as easily as ours do ourselves (a lot).

If all else fails but still haven’t fixed things up after getting some more advanced help from professionals at our local hardware store (yes we know what kind!), try using one of these anti-humidity sprays instead!

You may notice a musty odor in your house. This could be caused by mold and mildew, dust, pet odors (especially if you have cats or dogs), cooking food that has been left out for too long and other things like this.

Mold is a type of fungus that grows on damp surfaces such as floorboards or carpets. It produces spores which can be inhaled by humans who live in homes with high humidity levels for long periods of time. The spores enter the lungs causing allergic reactions such as sneezing and coughing which often lead to shortness of breath leading to hospitalization if not treated appropriately

Molds and mildew are the most common problems that can cause a house to feel damp. These organisms grow in warm, wet environments, like those found inside your home.

  • Molds and mildew can cause health problems, including allergic reactions or asthma attacks. They also damage your home by releasing toxic fumes into the air that you breathe each day. Moldy materials—like wood paneling, carpeting and fabrics—should be removed from areas where sunlight doesn’t reach them (elevators), because they can still produce spores even when covered up with plastic or paint over time.*

If you have rust on your metal or metal surfaces, it’s likely to be due to moisture. Rust is caused when oxygen combines with metal and forms a thin layer of iron oxide. The layer gives the metal its characteristic brownish color, which can be removed by scraping off with a wire brush or sandpaper.

If you want to prevent rust from occurring in the first place, keeping your house dry is key. This means avoiding condensation inside your home during cold weather (and keeping windows closed during hot days) as well as using fans when you know there will be high humidity levels outside—such as on windy days like those we had this past winter!

Wood rot is caused by fungi and can be a sign of too much humidity. Wood rot causes wood to become soft and weak, which means it’s more likely to crack or split. This can be accompanied by a foul smell that you might notice when you open up your closet door—or worse yet, in the walls!

If you think wood rot is happening in your house, there are several other factors that could be causing it:

  • A leaky roof (especially if there’s water pooling on top of it)
  • A leaky window (again, especially if there’s water pooling on top of it)
  • A leaky basement

When it’s too humid, you’ll see signs like condensation, rot and mold.


The moisture that collects on windowsills or other surfaces in your home will form a foggy layer of moisture that leads to the formation of mold and mildew. This can be caused by a number of factors such as high humidity levels (over 70%), failing air conditioners or heaters, leaking pipes and drains, old vents that don’t work properly anymore etc.

Mold & Mildew:

If you’ve ever seen black spots on your walls after cleaning them with bleach then you know what we mean! Mold spores are everywhere; they’re even found in our shoes! They thrive when there isn’t enough airflow into our homes due to increased humidity levels causing dampness which allows them to grow faster than normal because there’s more food sources available such as dead leaves from trees outside but also leftover food particles left behind by pets who often chew their toys up before giving them back again later on down years later – this means lotsa room for growth potential here ladies & gents!


Mold can be a serious problem to have indoors, but it’s not the only thing that causes excessive humidity. If you see any of these signs on your home, you should contact a professional immediately. We hope this article has helped you understand more about why humidity is so important and how to protect yourself against mold and mildew in the future!

Check out our best pick dehumidifier Honeywell 90 Pint Dehumidifier.