If you live in a dry climate and have a basement, it’s important to know how much moisture is entering your home. A dehumidifier is one way to keep the air in your house from becoming too humid. But what does that mean? Let’s find out!
High Humidity Levels
The first step to determining if your basement needs a dehumidifier is to determine the amount of humidity in your home. Humidity is the amount of water vapor present in air, measured in grams per cubic meter (g/m³). Excessively high levels can lead to mold growth, warping or shrinkage of wood surfaces and damage to building materials like drywall.
To measure this, you’ll need an instrument called a hygrometer that can accurately measure relative humidity—the difference between actual temperature and dew point temperatures at which all moisture disappears from a given material as condensation occurs. This tool should be calibrated monthly with distilled water taken from somewhere safe like an outdoors location (avoiding any nearby sources of pollution).
If you’re worried about mold spores, you can test your basement for them. Mold spores are present in the air and can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks and lung infections. They may also cause eye infections.
To test whether or not there are mold spores in your basement:
The most common reason people purchase a dehumidifier is because of the musty smell. This can be caused by mold or mildew, which are two common basement problems and both of which are hard to remove.
Mold spores enter basements through leaks in pipes and roofing, as well as through cracks in walls or floors. Mold grows very quickly once it has been introduced into your home. It can easily spread throughout your entire house if left unchecked for long enough because it does not require much moisture to grow (as long as there’s plenty of food).
Mildew is similar to mold but doesn’t produce spores (it produces its own spores). Instead of growing on surfaces like other molds do, mildew forms colonies consisting primarily of fungi called dermatophytes—an organism that feeds off dead skin cells when present within these colonies
Condensation on Windows and Doors
- Condensation on windows and doors is a sign of too much humidity.
- Condensation on windows and doors can be caused by many factors, including:
- High humidity levels
- Leaking pipes or roof leaks (this can cause moisture to pool in the basement)
- Leaking shower or bathroom (this can cause moisture to pool in the basement)
Peeling Paint and Damaged Wallpaper
- Condensation can lead to mold growth. Mold is a common indoor problem, and it’s one of the main reasons that your basement is likely damp. Mold can cause paint on walls and ceilings to peel, as well as wallpaper and other materials around your home.
- Damaged wallpapers are not only aesthetically unattractive; they also cause damage over time by creating moisture spots in your basement walls (and eventually causing them to rot).
- Paint peeling off of surfaces isn’t just unsightly—it’s also an indicator that there’s something wrong with how much moisture you’re letting into the house through leaks or floods in the foundation structure itself
If you can see signs of condensation, mold or moisture damage, you should get a dehumidifier.
If you can see signs of condensation, mold or moisture damage, you should get a dehumidifier. Condensation is a sign that the humidity levels in your basement are too high. Mold can cause health problems and destroy your home if left unchecked.
Dehumidifiers are an effective solution for both of these problems—they remove excess moisture from the air so it doesn’t damage walls or belongings (including carpets), plus they help keep mold at bay by removing excess moisture from areas where it’s most likely to grow: on walls and floors! In some cases, this type of equipment might also be able to remove odors from walls without any kind of chemical treatment necessary.”
If you’re planning to have a basement remodel, it’s important to keep in mind that dehumidifiers are an essential part of the process. Not only will they help prevent mold growth and damage to walls, but they can also save you money on expensive repairs later down the line!
Check out our best pick dehumidifier Keystone AC 12000 BTU.