Mold is a type of fungus that can grow in the air and on surfaces. It’s found almost everywhere—in homes, offices, schools, and even hospitals. Mold spores are tiny particles that float through the air and can enter your home when you bring furniture or other items into an area where they’re not supposed to be (like a bedroom). Once inside your home or office space, these spores begin growing into visible clusters called colonies if they’re exposed to high levels of humidity (more on this later).
Mold is a type of fungus. There are many different types of molds, but they all have one thing in common: they are not bacteria. The word “mold” refers to any type of fungus that can grow on various surfaces, including your skin or hair.
Mold spores are microscopic and can be found throughout our environment; we breathe them in every time we take a breath!
What is humidity?
The amount of water vapor in the air is called “humidity.” It’s measured as a percentage and expressed on a scale from 0% to 100%. The higher your humidity levels, the more likely you are to have mold growth on your home or office.
What causes high humidity?
There are several reasons why high levels of moisture can occur in homes and offices:
- Wet laundry machines that leave clothes damp after use;
- Dirty carpets that trap dirt between their fibers;
- A leaky roof or plumbing system that allows rainwater into rooms where no one lives—for example, basements or garages
Mold is a fungus that grows in damp areas, including closets and bathrooms. Mold may also form on stairways, floors and walls if there are high levels of humidity in your home.
When the air around you is moist due to condensation or leaks from plumbing systems, water droplets can collect on surfaces such as windowsills or inside cabinets. This causes moisture to accumulate where it shouldn’t be—in places like basements where mold spores might otherwise have been unable to survive for long periods of time (mold doesn’t absorb oxygen).
If you live in a humid environment, you may notice that your skin is clammy and feels sticky. You may also have difficulty sleeping at night because of the humidity. Your hair may become frizzier as well, which can make it difficult to style properly.
If you find yourself dealing with these problems regularly, it could be time to consider ways to decrease your humidity level at home or work!
If you want to avoid mold growth, it’s important to understand what conditions need to be avoided.
High humidity levels:
The main culprit behind indoor mold growth is excessive moisture. In order for mold colonies to survive and thrive in your home or workplace, they require a high level of humidity (around 50 percent). That’s why many homes have central air conditioning units that remove excess moisture from the air by circulating it around the entire space quickly and efficiently. You can also try installing window fans or oscillating fans near large windows; these will help draw out any excess moisture from inside rooms where you spend most of your time—like your bathroom!
Wet surfaces: Mold loves dampness—and so does its food source! If there are areas where water collects on floors/walls/ceilings then those spots will become breeding grounds for molds over time because they’re constantly moistening up these areas as they drip down onto them through leaky pipes or condensation caused by being left open too long without coverings like plastic sheeting around vents etc.. This can lead towards severe health problems such as asthma attacks due just having been exposed enough times before getting sickly symptoms start kicking off again after having gone away due
In order to understand how humidity works, it’s important to first understand the difference between relative humidity and absolute humidity. Relative humidity refers to the amount of moisture in air at a particular temperature and pressure, while absolute humidity refers to an amount of moisture in air at a given temperature and pressure.
When you have high levels of both relative and absolute humidities in your home (which can happen when there is condensation), mold spores will grow rapidly because they love warm environments with lots of water. Mold can cause health problems such as allergic reactions or asthma attacks if inhaled by people who are sensitive or allergic; however, children are more susceptible than adults because their immune systems are still developing at this age so they may be more likely get sick if exposed over time due to prolonged exposure than adults would be able to withstand before getting sick
We hope this article has given you some insight into humidity and how it affects your home. If you’re concerned about mold, there are a few simple things you can do to reduce the amount of moisture in your home. The first step is to install air conditioning units in all rooms where there is high humidity and clean out any areas with mold growth regularly. If this isn’t possible, then consider using an air purifier or dehumidifier instead so that those areas stay dry.
Check out our best pick dehumidifier COLZER 212 Pint Dehumidifier.