Will Running A Dehumidifier Kill Mold

Will Running A Dehumidifier Kill Mold

Mold is a serious health issue, and it can cause devastating damage to your home. Mold spores are microscopic particles that float around in the air and can enter your home through any crack or opening. When these tiny spores land on surfaces, they release chemicals that allow them to attach themselves to surfaces and begin growing into colonies called mold colonies. The good news is that there are many easy ways you can reduce the risk of exposure to this problem-causing fungus. In this article, we discuss how running a dehumidifier may help reduce the chances of mold growth in your home!

  • Mold is a fungus that grows in moist areas. It needs water, warmth and humidity to grow.
  • Mold can be found on anything with a lot of moisture, including food, paper or wood products.

Mold growth occurs when humidity levels rise above 55%. This is because molds need moisture to grow and reproduce, which can be achieved in environments with high relative humidity (RH). As you may know, RH is the amount of water vapor in a given space compared to the total mass of that space. For example, if you have 10 lbs of water vapor in a room with 100 lbs total weight then your RH would be 10%–this means that 1/10th of all available water will evaporate into atmosphere before becoming available for microbial growth on surfaces around you.

Mold spores are very small organisms that float through air currents until they land on surfaces where they begin their life cycle as mold colonies (mushrooms). These spores will only grow when there’s enough moisture present; therefore it’s important not to let your dehumidifier run 24/7 so as not to keep this critical balance out-of-control!

Dehumidifiers work by pulling water from the air. They’re an effective way to reduce humidity, and they don’t kill mold or other fungi.

Dehumidifiers pull moisture out of a room either by condensation or evaporation. If you leave your dehumidifier running continuously, it will create some moisture in your home—but this is not harmful!

The best way to reduce mold growth is to maintain lower humidity levels. Relative humidity in the home should not exceed 55%.

If you notice a musty smell or find mold on surfaces, it’s likely that your relative humidity is too high. You can fix this by closing windows and using a dehumidifier, which will help keep air from getting too dry. If this isn’t enough for you, consider adding an additional humidifier if needed (and remember: keep them out of reach of children).

If there are any signs of mold growth in your home—which may include black marks on walls or ceilings as well as white fuzzy things floating around—you should clean up right away!

Dehumidifiers are a great way to dry out your home, but they can also help kill mold. Many models have an automatic shutoff feature that makes them easy to use and maintain. You don’t need any special tools or skills to use a dehumidifier; all you need is water, electricity and some space in your basement or garage.

Dehumidifiers work by removing moisture from the air using coils inside the unit that absorb water molecules from the air as it passes through them. The moisture is then removed from the room after passing through these coils (or “absorbed”), which reduces its volume by up to 90%! This process takes place at night when there isn’t much activity taking place inside your home due to temperatures being lower outside of rooms where people spend most of their time during day time hours.”

Dehumidifiers can be used to reduce humidity levels, which may help prevent mold growth. Mold thrives in environments with high levels of moisture, and dehumidifiers remove that moisture from the air. If you have an existing mold problem in your home that needs to be addressed, consider using a dehumidifier as part of your strategy for controlling it.

Dehumidifiers are also easy to use: simply set them up near where you want some light moisture removed from the environment (like near windowsills), plug them into an outlet and turn them on! They’re affordable and safe—plus they make great gifts for loved ones who enjoy gardening or just trying out new things!


Dehumidifiers are an effective tool for managing the amount of moisture in your home. They work by pulling water from the air, which helps reduce mold growth and other issues related to humidity. The best way to use these machines is by setting them up near doors or windows so that they can draw moisture out into a room without causing any damage.

Check out our best pick dehumidifier BlueDri 150 Pint Dehumidifier.